Cocktail of the Week: Amaretto Sour (with a twist)
It’s officially fall, but it still feels like summer here in New England. My twist on the classic Amaretto Sour is the perfect summer to fall transition drink. It’s refreshing on a warm day but also warms the soul on a cool evening.
It’s also packed with nutrients, which certainly isn’t something you hear too often when talking about cocktails. This version uses fresh lemon juice and egg whites in place of sour mix. I know what you’re thinking … egg whites?! Believe me, they’re safe to drink raw and they add a delicious frothy top without any added flavor. In addition to the amaretto, I use an equal part of Bourbon. In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with Bourbon. In this drink, it takes away the overtly sweet taste of amaretto and balances perfectly with the fresh lemon. Say hello to fall with this delicious, and complex yet smooth cocktail.
- Bourbon (I like Four Roses brand Bourbon for mixed drinks. It’s smooth yet affordable.)
- Amaretto (I only use Disaronno because of its richness)
- Lemon juice (only fresh squeezed will do)
- Egg whites (I purchase the carton of egg whites because it’s much less work. Just shake the carton well before adding to your mixer)
- Simple syrup
- Brandied cherries for garnish (Luxardo brand is a fan favorite, but my go-to for a more affordable option is Copper & Kings.)
One Serving Recipe
- 1 oz Bourbon
- 1 oz amaretto
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 – 3/4 oz beaten (or shaken) egg whites
- 1 tsp simple syrup
Add all ingredients to your shaker (minus the ice) and “dry shake” vigorously to ensure the egg whites are absorbed and create a frothy texture. Next, add ice to the shaker and shake a few more times. Pour into a rocks glass and garnish with brandied cherries. Simple and flavorful.
In case you missed it live, watch me make my twist on the Amaretto Sour on our most recent episode of Cocktails with Kate!
Win a prize for making our Cocktail of the Week!
Love this recipe? Make the drink at home and post a pic of the final product on Instagram. Tag @Tripleseat in your photo and use the hashtag #tripleseatcocktail. Best pic every week wins an Amazon gift card!